Old July 6th 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
COLIN LAMB

Default SPOT Versus ELT Analysis (Long)

"Does NOAA carry more weight to get non-US emergency teams to answer the
phone and come to your
rescue?"

I doubt it. Search and Rescue is activated by the sheriff in most states
and they will respond as soon as practicable under the circumstances. The
key is the report and certainty of what has happened. The 121.5 MHz ELTs
can take a fairly long time to locate, and the satellite positions may not
be accurate. We have been sent out on searches from reports from the
satellites and learned they were off by 20 miles or more. We have had to
get close enough with ground vehicles to pick up the signal. Change to the
higher frequency will substantially improve the original report. CAP may be
activated sooner by a government organization, though, since it is
quasi-governmental. SAR groups like accurate information and it does not
matter where it comes from.

As to activation times, it all depends. Depending upon the information and
when it is received, CAP and SAR might not begin the search undil the
following morning - especially if the report is filed late in the afternoon.
It takes time to plan the search. Often, there is a "hasty" search where a
quick serach is made using such techniques as going to hilltops and trying
to receive the signal with gain antennas and driving around in automobiles
in possible areas with direction finding equipment.

I have been to many crashes where the ELT was destroyed, so it was not
useful. That would be a big advantage for SPOT, since you would be leaving
bread crumbs - not only of your trail but also your direction and speed.
That history would be invaluable. It is really difficult to look for a
downed aircraft when you are not sure what state they are in..

Colin Lamb