Old July 14th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Which handheld transceiver?

Michael Henry wrote:
Hi all,

My local radio shop only sells Icom for about AU$550.

So, a few questions:

What of the other brands? Vertex Standard? Sportys SP-200?
I imagine they're all pretty decent brands for them to have been around
as long as they have. Is any one brand easier to use? Better made?

Does anyone actually use the vor/cdi function or is this just a gimmick?
The price doesn't seem to be too much different so I might go for a nav
model anyway, but just wondering...

I have an ICOM A24.

I've never used the NAV functions, but have been happy with the radio
overall. I don't have extensive experience with lots of different
radios. I find the ICOM easy to use and dependable and would buy it again.

If I ever have a total electrical failure, I would imagine my battery
powered Garmin 196 GPS would get preference over the A24 CDI, but I
guess it's there if I need it.