Old March 19th 10, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic[_2_]

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:32:56 +0000, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

In message
, Ken
S. Tucker writes
On Mar 17, 3:38 pm, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:
I think the source is reliable, my Old Boy was a WW2 vet spook who
had more access to info than any historian will ever get, and
explained
it to me.

That's one of maybe a dozen people, then. Why not just tell us his name?

Probably because he was a reletive of Joe Kennedy; or maybe just a
drinking buddy.

But I'll let you in on a secret, the Brits had thousands of cannons
after
Dunkirk, available for Nazi photo recon, made of wood logs, that's all
the Brits had was bluff, but I think it was good in any case, the
croats
figured it was real.

Croats? Whiskey tango foxtrot, interrogative?

Croats make some pretty good pastries. My grandmother lived in a
neighborhood with a Croation church. Food at the pot lucks was pretty
good.

Don't know what that has to do with defending against Operation
Sealiion, though. :-)

We certainly had a big deception plan going in Kent... in 1944 to create
FUSAG and keep the Germans waiting in the Pas de Calais.

As far as artillery went, *immediately* after Dunkirk - on 8 June - we
had about 400 tanks, 420 field guns and 163 medium and heavy guns
*immediately* available for use. We had fifteen infantry and one
armoured division in being.

Through June, the Navy brought back to the UK about another 200,000
troops, and some of their artillery and vehicles. (Common myth - Dunkirk
was by no means the end of the fighting in France)

The Brits, had a few rifles left after Dunkirk, 2 or 3.

About 70,000 after the Army's needs had been met.

Paint a few hundred barges black and gliders too, move out at 10 or
11 pm, and by 5 am the king is being raped in the ass by Nazi's.

Move out at 10pm in your three-knot barges, and by 5am you're not even
half-way across the Channel.

You have, however, met and felt the fire of the Auxiliary Patrol, and by
this point you're seeing destroyers by the dozen... and none of them
German.

I think you need to re-examine the credentials of your Old Boy. He
wasn't related to Baron Castleshortt VC, was he?

The Germans had no idea what they needed to do to successfully invade
England. It was certainly much more than an opposed "river crossing."
The landing beaches would have been clearly identified, ranged (by all
those guns they didn't have), and the roads blocked by all those
troops and tanks that they didn't have.

What we would have likely seen would have been the first invasion of
Wake, but on a grand scale. The IJN, with all the real experience
they had in PHIBOPS, screwed up pretty bad by grossly underestimating
their enemy. The German underestimation was at least that bad.