Old March 23rd 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

Jim Wilkins writes:

On Mar 18, 11:45*pm, Chris wrote:
On Mar 18, 10:05*pm, Alexander wrote:

As I already noted in another post, please don't base your ideas for
what the Germans could do based on the successes of the Japanese Navy.
The Japanese Navy was so much better than the Luftwaffe at sinking
ships that the comparison is ludicrous.
Chris Manteuffel

Pearl Harbor was an unexpected attack on close-packed stationary
ships, inspired by the British success at Taranto. The Japanese
weren't that good at bombing defended shipping at sea, Guadalcanal for
example. One can assume that Spitfires would be at least as effective
as Wildcats at protecting the ships.

I'm not sure, maybe you know: I assumed the Japanese were good until
they lost their best attack and dive bomber pilots; and this problem was
coupled with the a) ease with which they aircraft would get shot down
owing to lack of armour and self-sealing tanks, plus b) the introduction
of VT fuses by the Americans.
Defending fighters breaking up attacks would be the norm anywhere I
suppose, regardless of how well-trained the attacking pilots are.
Gernot