Old March 23rd 10, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Jeff Crowell[_5_]

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

Alexander wrote:
I would more attribute that to your air cover. Ships then as now were
sitting ducks. Or did you forget massive air battles at the Coral
Sea, Wake Island, Midway Island etc. Japanese aircraft did a real job
at Pearl harbor on both anchored ships and fast moving destroyers in
the outer harbor at Pearl Harbor.

Keith Willshaw wrote:
List of fast moving destroyers sunk at Pearl Harbor

Start of List
End of List

The 3 destroyers 'sunk' at Pearl Harbor were all in dry dock at the
time and were repaired and returned to service.

The only destroyer on patrol damaged was the USS Helm. The
bombs aimed at her missed but some damage was done by
strafing. It was minor and she stayed on patrol joining the escort
group of the USS Saratoga.

Alexander wrote:
Good God...Don't you read the whole story or just what suites you? There
is even a plaque in the Admin building at Pearl. You missed the Fleet
tug that was in Floating Drydock along with 2 subchasers.

Alexander... dude, keep it coming, you have me in stitches. I haven't
laughed so hard over someone's misbegotten posts in, like, forever.
Do you read this stuff before you hit 'Send'?

You asserted that Japanese aircraft "did a real job" on 'fast-moving
destroyers' during the Pearl Harbor attack. When Keith properly showed
that no moving destroyers were damaged other than by strafing, the best
you can do is talk about tugs and subchasers?

Keep it coming!

Jeff
--
Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.
Robert Heinlein