Old March 23rd 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Chris

Default "Vanishing American Air Superiority"

On Mar 23, 12:55*am, -did-not-set--mail-host-address--
so-tickle-me wrote:

I'm not sure, maybe you know: I assumed the Japanese were good until
they lost their best attack and dive bomber pilots; and this problem was

It's hard to say precisely: but looking at losses, the Japanese lost
somewhere between 100 and 150 carrier qual'd aircrew at each of the
first couple of carrier battles. The Guadalcanal campaign as a whole
cost the Japanese Navy over 2800 planes, though, so you can see that
it would be where the majority of the pre-war elite died.

Defending fighters breaking up attacks would be the norm anywhere I
suppose, regardless of how well-trained the attacking pilots are.

What is impressive about the Japanese early war aircrew is that
defending fighters often didn't break up the attacks, even when they
were in a position to intercept. Examine the Hiryu's airgroup pair of
attacks on Yorktown at Midway and notice that despite intense losses,
on both occasions the crews got in and hit their targets and did their
damage.

Chris Manteuffel