Old May 25th 12, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Compare/Contrast: CG hook on aerotow vs. CG hook on winch

On Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:54:00 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
I've been told (and witnessed) that aerotow on CG hook is initially difficult for someone who has trained for aerotow with a "nose hook" (aka hook-forward-of-CG). Suppose this CG-hook-newbie were to take winch tow training (with CG hook). Would the winch training reduce the initial difficulty of a CG hook aerotow?

Do the difficulties/danger of aerotow with CG hook go away completely with training and experience?

What sorts of misadventures are reasonably attributed to aerotow on CG hook?

I understand why CG hook is superior for winch tow. No need to rehash that explanation.

There is increased risk that come from the directional squirliness. Can you reduce this with training. Sure. Can you eliminate any risk, no. Can you reduce it enough to feel comfortable. Maybe, but that is a personal risk decision, not something somebody else can tell you. But I've seen a few departures to the weeds with folks aerotowing with a CG hook. The attention getting ones involve crosswinds and narrow strips and/or tall grass... ending in ground loops. That cross wind handling, need to be ready to quick release etc. should be things to look at with an instructor.

Its not clear what you are flying or where, but some flight manuals do prohibit aerotowing with a CG hook (e.g. my ASH-26E does).

Darryl