Old May 25th 12, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

Default Compare/Contrast: CG hook on aerotow vs. CG hook on winch

CG hook specific misadventures:

On the ground run, crosswinds are much more of an issue. No correcting
force on the nose so the grass at the side of the runway exerts an
inexorable attraction. You have to be on top of lateral control all the
time and be prepared to release the moment if goes sideways. Lateral
diversions on the ground run that are recoverable on nose hook tow will
result in a ground loop on the CG hook.

Yes, to all of the above.

Plus, the glider type seems to make a difference. The Pegasus 101A that
I used to own a piece of always wanted to head for the weeds in any kind
of cross wind (and I've seen two others get damaged like that). OTOH,
the LS6-b that I now fly simply tracks straight under the same
conditions - no fuss.

Be sure that the glider is perfectly aligned before the take off roll on
a normal launch.

On an unassisted launch (read 'land out'), I put the down wingtip
slightly ahead, expecting the tip drag to straighten me out by the time
the wings level. How much of a lead depends on the surface type.

A nose hook is clearly superior for aero tow.

Tony "6N"