Old August 11th 18, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Flying with Parachutes

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 6:22:54 PM UTC-6, John Huthmaker wrote:
I'm just starting out with soaring. Simple question for you guys. How many of you fly with an emergency parachute? It looks like they cost around $2000 online. Pretty steep price; although the cost is insignificant if it saves your life. Is this something I should be looking to purchase?

Hard to say universally, but the several clubs I've flown with in the US and UK, most training two-seaters were not flown with parachutes, often maybe due to payload limitations. It was considered bad form in the UK for the instructor to wear a parachute when there wasn't one to offer to the student.