Old April 17th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Buzzed?

Mike Granby wrote:

So I'm flying IFR down V441 in Florida today, when I hear the
controller who's working me call traffic to a VFR airplane he's
providing with advisories. "Traffic, twelve o'clock, opposite
direction, very fast, same altitude, suggest you descend now."

snip

Reminds me of the opening sequence in the movie, "Close Encounters of the
Third Kind:"

[AirEast Pilot]: OK Center. AirEast 31. The traffic has turned. He's
heading right for my windshield. We're turning right...

(A CONFLICT ALERT sounds)

[Air Traffic Controller]: AirEast 31, descend and maintain flight level
three-one-zero. Break, Allegheny triple four. Turn right thirty degrees
immediately...

[AirEast Pilot}: AirEast 31, Roger. The traffic is quite luminous and is
exhibiting some non-ballistic motion. Over.

[Air Traffic Controller]: Roger, AirEast 31. Continue to descend at your
discretion, over.

[AirEast Pilot]: OK, Center. Center pilot's discretion is approved. The
traffic is approaching head-on...and really moving. Went by us, right now.
That was really close.

[Supervisor]: Ask them if they want to report officially.

[Air Traffic Controller]: TWA 517, do you want to report a UFO? Over.
(No response) TWA 517, do you want to report a UFO? Over.

[TWA Pilot]: Negative. We don't want to report.

[Air Traffic Controller]: AirEast 31, do you wish to report a UFO? Over.

[AirEast Pilot]: Negative. We don't want to report one of those either.

[Air Traffic Controller]: AirEast 31, do you wish to file a report of any
kind to us?

[AirEast Pilot]: I wouldn't know what kind of report to file, Center.

[Air Traffic Controller]: AirEast 31, me neither. I'll try to track traffic
and destination, over.

--
Peter