Old May 6th 14, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Default Fatal crash Arizona

On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 1:42:53 PM UTC-5, Waveguru wrote:
The rope was intact. We don't know what caused the release. I'm not even sure we know if he turned back or rotated 180 during the spin. No pilot saw what happened.

Boggs

I heard Tom Knauff speak at the Senior Soaring Championships in March about in flight medical issues. (A great presentation by the way.)

One possibility is that Bob Knauff was experiencing a medical emergency and, in a last act of heroism, released to save the tow pilot.

We may never know but if this is the case, hats off to General Knauff.

Lou