Old February 16th 21, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Your Opinion Would Be Appreciated

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 2:30:51 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 08:01:34 UTC+2, Mike Carris wrote:
You do not paint over gelcoat. You remove it and start from the bare airframe.

Mike

I've never seen a painted glider that did not have gelcoat below the paint. New gliders with paint = gel coat is added to the moulds. Refinished gliders = gel coat usually sanded down but still there.

No use comparing 50 years old gel coat gliders to modern gliders with T35 crap that lasts 10 years before cracking.

I can show you an LS3A that was painted over the gel, it is now totally in immediate need of a complete strip and build up. we plan on refinishing it very soon. The paint and gel on this ship seems to remove much easier than any others that I have removed.