Old November 12th 10, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default USA - Private Pilot glider tow compensation

On Nov 12, 3:59*pm, Grider Pirate wrote:
Wow. *So let me get this straight. Logging flight time IS considered
by the FAA as a form of compensation? Please tell me I got that wrong.

That was the FAA position for a long time and I have not heard that it
has changed. Years ago SSA negotiated the waiver for private pilots
to tow for SSA affiliated clubs using a private cert. At one phase in
the negotiations FAA said ok but the private pilots cannot log the
time as that was compensation requiring a commercial cert. When FAA
was asked how pilots would prove currency they changed their position
to being that such pilots could log the time but that it could not be
used to qualify for any additional rating. That would have required
private pilots to keep track of towing time separately from other
logged time.

I got a restricted commercial cert so I could tow without dealing with
the stupidity of it all.

Andy