Old September 17th 19, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Any Glider Pilot Connections with Beale AFB in California

Years back, I needed parts for the oxygen system I was cobbling together
out of military hardware.Â* One of my stops was the Naval Air Station,
Dallas.Â* I was told at the gate that I could not enter unless someone
came to the gate and escorted me.Â* I asked for the base phone book and
turned to "Operations".Â* I called, identified myself and my purpose and
asked if someone would come to the gate and escort me in.

That may not work today, but I did get some of the parts I needed. Then
it was off to Carswell AFB, in Ft. Worth.Â* They had an open gate at the
time, but the Personal Equipment shop was locked.Â* I waited for a pilot
carrying a helmet bag and simply followed him inside.Â* They were very
friendly and completely overhauled my mask,

I don't think I'd risk a trip from MN to CA on that flimsy anecdote,
however...

On 9/17/2019 6:13 AM, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the note. I did call the public affairs office at Beale. They were very nice, but said that the base is no longer open for public visits, but we may be able to get onto the base if we know someone who works there. We could be brought into the base as guests. But I don't know anyone on the base.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 6:11:52 AM UTC-5, Rich Owen wrote:
Paul,

Every base has a public affairs office. I would bet that if you contacted them, they would make some arrangements for you. It might not be much, but it would get you on the base. Now I'm Navy but I did 4 years on exchange with the Air Force. I put civilians in aircraft when I gave tours.

Rich Owen

--
Dan, 5J