Old February 22nd 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Introduction: Hello everyone.

Hi Bryan,

Seems like it would have to be a pretty big rocket to have much
effect on a 2000+ LB load, but I don't know much about those
things. If they're doing that they're pretty clever.

Don W.

Bryan Martin wrote:

You could do what the Russians have done with parachute cargo drops. Just
before touchdown, a rocket pack suspended in the parachute rigging fires a
short burst to slow the descent.

in article , Don W at
wrote on 2/21/06 11:56 AM:

The problem as I see it is how to slow the 2000LB airframe from the 15-
20MPH of the chute to stopped without breaking it. With the Velocity,
I was thinking along the lines of a nose down attitude, and something
like a BIG automotive type airbag designed such that it does a
controlled collapse on impact. That is why the pusher design was both
an asset as well as a problem. Its also why shedding 1/4 of the weight
seemed like a good idea. The occupants are better off being restrained
by their belts and harnesses than landing on the mains anyway. And it
wouldn't be so bad rebuilding a sacrificial nose cone compared to having
to start from scratch.

Now, back to reality...

Don W.