Old September 1st 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_1_]

Default If a club had no hangar space, what aircraft could they use?

Dan G wrote:
Imagine a club in a fairly wet (24" rain a year) temperate climate,
which doesn't have a hangar. What gliders and tugs could they use,
which would be able to survive living outside all year round? I'm
thinking both two-seat trainers (Blaniks?) and single-seaters, and
tugs that could operate off a grass strip (I can't think of a tug that
doesn't need a hangar :-s).

Dan

My club in the UK is in an area which on average has almost exactly 24"
of rainfall a year. Annual temperature range is about -2 to +30
Centigrade, with occasional short periods colder or hotter.

We operate a 180hp Rallye off grass, and the aircraft lives outside year
round (it has a solid canopy cover and is tied down). It seems (from the
other end of the rope) to be a pretty good tug. I've only recently
joined, but the tug has been with the club for about 3 years and show no
signs of suffering from the weather.

We are only 200ft msl though, if that's relevant. However, I've also
been towed behind a Rallye at about 2,000 ft msl and 40 degrees
Centigrade in Spain, and that was fine too.