Old July 17th 20, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default How accurate are the OLC AGL traces?

On Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 6:22:32 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Like most pilots who log flights on the OLC I watch the daily flights and I like to see whats going on out in the wild blue today.

Question: How accurate are the AGL statistics at the bottom of the traces?

Today for instance, There was a pilot of of Ely who got within 59 meters of the terrain and one out of Minden who got within 6 [! ] meters of the terrain, so says the OLC trace.
Are these numbers accurate? I see these very close to the mountain AGL numbers ALL the time.

Seeing the recent fatality in Ely due to hitting the mountain I think we might need to readjust our safety minimum's.

I don't know about the East but flying out West in the summer, I think we all need to be more careful in regards to flying close to the ground, being it a mountain, whatever.
What do you guys think?
Trying to fly safe in 2020
Nick

I don't think there is any question that Marak was flying close to the terrain - too close. But exactly how close will never be known for sure (let's hope that they are able to recover his flight data log). The issue is do you want to be the next test pilot who tries to see how close is too close?

Tom