Old September 19th 03, 04:33 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

After reading a bunch of Don's articles, perhaps a reasonable
compromise would be comments describing what the L/L is for? I,
personally, prefer using prominent navaid radial/distance for defining an
RNAV (or unknown identifier) rather than L/L anyway. I don't think in
terms of L/L (and my VFR GPS isn't quite as approved as the DME/VOR RNAV).

The problem with navaid radial/distance is that it relies on the navaid
location being known to the flight data processing computer. If the
computer doesn't recognize the base fix it won't process it. The one fix
format that always works is latitude/longitude.