Old October 14th 18, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Bob Harris

If I remember his story correctly, he kept his Grob in a constant state of readiness for five years. Every day he checked with Meteorologist looking for the best possible conditions for wave flights. The morning of his record setting flight he had promised his wife that he would go with her to pick up a dog. Before they left she asked him what the weather forecast was. He told her that they had the best parameters since starting the project. She told him to go ahead and fly...and fly he did.

I never met the man but have a great deal of admiration for him, for his dedication and his achievement. He did it without big corporate sponsorship, without pressure suits from NASA or a specially designed sailplane. He did the best he could with what he had to work with. I doubt anyone will ever beat his record. Bob Harris had the “Right Stuff” and is still on top of the pyramid.