Old May 9th 04, 05:43 AM
nooneimportant

"Jeff Saylor" wrote in message
Allen C Perkinson Airport/Blackstone Army Airfield (KBKT) in
Virgina has a control tower, at least part of the time. It also
has class G airspace to 700 ft AGL.

What are the procedures for operating at a tower in uncontrolled
airspace? When are you obligated to communicate with the tower,
other than touching the runways? I don't recall this being
discussed much during flight training way back when.

How common is it to have a tower (other than a special temporary
tower, e.g. the one during EAA Oshkosh or AOPA fly-in.) without
at least Class D airspace?

Got two towers closeby to my field that are not in Class D... My field is
currently nontowered, but is expected to get a tower and upgrade itself, and
one of the two nearby fields to Class D airspace. Basically what I hear is
to treat it just like Class D... 4 mile radius up to 2500 AGL, contact to
transition, land or depart from. From what i understand, and i could be
wrong here, the diff between Towered G and Class D is that Class D does have
radar service.