Old June 6th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

Who is talking about *punitive* reparations?

I was, from the very first post I made in this thread. It
now appears our whole argument is based on your misreading
of my post.

No, it's apparently based on your own misreading of your own post. Nothing
in your original post referred to *punitive* reparations.

More importantly, no significant participant in the national debate (to my
knowledge) has ever advocated *punitive* reparations, so if would make no
sense for you to be "sick and tired" of such "demands". (And by the way,
since no one here had been advocating any sort of reparation until you
brought it up, it was a peculiar complaint for you to issue here in the
first place.)

For your reference, here's the text of your orginal post:

I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents of
the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from the
descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally enslaved?
Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not. Remember the
past, yes, but get over it.

See? No mention of *punitive* recompense, just "recompense". There is a
clear legal and moral distinction between compensation and "punitive
damages", with entirely different criteria for when each is warranted.

--Gary