Old October 19th 20, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

Default As heard on 123.3........

On Monday, October 19, 2020 at 2:00:07 AM UTC-7, James Hamilton wrote:
At 19:02 13 October 2020, John Cochrane wrote:
Second hand:

XYZ, on final, your gear is up.
XYZ: What?
XYZ, your landing gear is up!
(goes on a while. Finally)
XYZ: I can't hear you guys. There is some darn buzzer going off in

here.

First hand. Littlefield TX standard class nationals -- one of the first
with D2 like gliders that load really heavy and the nose points up a lot..
Towpilots fly in from around the state, many used to towing 2-33's all

day
long.

Pilot: Towplane x, 5 more knots.
(noise)
Pilot: TOWOPLANE X, 5 MORE KNOTS!
(noise)
Pilot: TOWOPLANE X, 70 KNOTS NOW!

Next tow:
Pilot: TOWPLANE X, 5 MORE KNOTS!
PIlot: TOWPLANE X 5 MORE KNOTS NOW!

This keeps going on for several tows until finally

Towplane x: What do y'all wanna fly so fast for anyhow?

John Cochrane

Minden, late 1970's, the pilot and his crew/girlfriend talked to each other

on the radio like it was a telephone: "Honey, I'm off tow and you can go
to town for groceries now." "OK darling, I have to stop at the gas station

first though." "That's OK but remember to get the kind of chips I like
when you are at the store." This kind of thing happened often when this
lovely couple showed up at Minden. During one of these episodes, a
friend was helping me get strapped in my glider and I had the radio on.
My friend says "Oh, I see that Mic Chatter and his girlfriend Frequency
Hog are here again!" True story!

I believe that same pilot called his crew and told her to wash the trailer! After a short pause, several other pilots called their crews with the sane request. Most responses were on the lines of “Let me get right on that”, but my crew simply said, “Cram it”!
JJ