Old April 19th 04, 04:44 PM
Stewart Kissel

Assuming this is not a troll-

In the spring I like to use 'controlled' burns in the
forests for this. I can spot the smoke from a long
way, and by examing the plumes try and figure out the
strongest lift areas. Depending on how high above
the fires I can use the smoke smell as an olfactory
vario.

Typically these burns are done with an unstable atmosphere
to keep the smoke from sitting low in an inversion.
Once fire season gets going again I don't venture
near the conflagarations, but sometimes watch them
from afar.

At 15:24 19 April 2004, John wrote:
Here is a thought:

Was in the back yard making thousands of soap bubbles
(Mr. Bubbles)
for the baby. Slight breeze. Clearly could tell the
entire airflow
pattern in the back yard....even a little ridge lift
over the glider
trailer!

Wonder if you could add a soap bubble machine to a
sailplane? Turn it
on when you first hit a thermal and a trail of bubbles
is created.
After one circle, just fly toward the highest bubbles
and that is
where the thermal's core is.

I could see the bubbles about 200 feet away, but might
could add a
color die to enhance visibility further.

Any thoughts on this?