View Single Post
Old November 21st 12, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default FAI (IGC) rules for US Club Class Nationals - Petition

On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:14:48 AM UTC-5, wrote:

This petition offers valid feedback.

I think a lot of us are thinking "No, it just stirs the pot".

The RC is proposing a new US racing class.

Not really. They are extending what's been tried and proven at the regional level to a Nationals.

This is not about team selection or WGC preparation.

I call BS. Exhibit "A" for the prosecution is your use of the word "Nationals" in your "petition".

If I wanted to sell a (nearly) pure IGC rules CC in the US, this is what I would do:

1. Study the rules until I had 'em cold. Determine what, if anything, absolutely had to be adjusted for US use. Determine what, if anything, might be *desirably* adjusted for US use, without compromising the essential character of the race I was trying to create.

2. Figure out how to support the CD and scorer.

3. Find a site and a sponsor, sell them. Find a CD and scorer, sell them.

4. With all that in hand, or at least well on the way, sell the RC on granting me a waiver for a *regional or super regional* contest. Be ready for the inevitable discussion of rules, safety implications and so forth. Concentrate really, really hard on what is *most* important and try earnestly to capture that in the inevitable compromise. Be prepared to negotiate everything else as needed to make it work.

Because you give evidence of having done almost none of the foregoing, people aren't taking you seriously. Because you are instead publicly poking at serious, thoughtful, hard working VOLUNTEERS who make this sport what it is, you are generating a lot of ill will. Because you are trying to re-engineer a Nationals contest without giving evidence of having thought through the ramifications of running contests in parallel with dramatically different start, finish & scoring requirements and you haven't come forward with any explanation of how this might be done, you look rather naive.

Constructively,

Evan Ludeman / T8