Old May 4th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Starduster Too...experiences?

david wrote:
My quest to find "the ideal" homebuilt bipe continues.

Has anyone got any build experiences with the Starduster Too? It looks
pretty, but is "pretty" another word for "very difficult"?

I have seen the AS&S web site - nice - so have to ask...do most people buy
kits in stages and build from that or what? Or do they just buy a sheet of
plans? (Can't believe that). It seems most folk in the UK buy ready made
from the States! Eek!

Anyone know what the 'hole' size is like on the Starduster? I'm well over 6
feet tall and 200lb

David

I have the plans, but have not built it (yet) There are two books out
there on people's experience building and flying the starduster. One
is called "Building the Golduster"( an aerobatic version) by James
McKeehan, the other is called "Starduster" I think and is more of a
novel than a howto. Jimi at Desert Eagle had an early version
partially built for sale last year. Don't know if he sold it or not. It
was just the airframe. I used to follow the builders forum pretty
closely. Pretty in this case does add difficulty. The wings are far
from cookie cutter, so each rib is different I am pretty sure. I don't
have the plans with me. The plans by the way are beautifully done, or
at least the ones that I got were. The business has changed hands since
I bought mine. My plan was to tackle something simpler first. It is
an absolutely beautiful plane up close. A common complaint on the
builders site used to be that the resale value was on par or lower than
the build cost, which might explain why UK buyers go for the complete
airframes.

Charles