Old September 2nd 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default FLARM antenna mounts for ASG-29

On Monday, September 2, 2013 6:13:15 AM UTC-7, Sean F (F2) wrote:
I have seen some beautiful setups with nice antenna holders for the powerflarm brick. Where do you buy these or are they built by the owners? Any tips would be welcomed.

Happy Labor Day!

Sean

First find out if the nose on your ship is reinforced with CF . . .

Rex Mayes has been installing the small center fed dipole antennas inside the nose on the ASH26E. That works very well, as the wall of the nose is fiberglass. Unfortunately, on the 31Mi there is a course weave of carbon, that you can easily see looking from the inside with strong light outside, which precludes that location due to the carbon. Not sure about the ASG-29.

Anyway, with the carbon reinforced nose you have fewer options. I've seen a couple of installs with the dipoles mounted under the glareshield with the upper radiator poking through a hole in the shield. Sub-optimal due to the metal bits and equipment blocking the RF, but I'm guessing it still works.

bumper