Old July 13th 04, 08:09 PM
Maule Driver

"Shawn" Anyway, the winds were relatively
light (10 knots) and the afternoon
was hot. On my last (4th) solo landing I had an experience I have not
seen before. After touchdown the plane started weather veining into
the wind. Aileron up deflection on the upwind side (into the wind)
didn't help (and thinking about it, I don't think aileron would assist
in a weather-veining situation). I applied full opposite rudder and
that wasn't enough. I actually had to apply light braking on the
opposite rudder to get straightened back out.

What you did is SOP on most taildraggers. A nosewheel hides most
weathervaning tendencies with a little side loading of the tires and perhaps
a bit of scrubbed rubber.

I have looked through the archives and not seen much discussion on
weather-veining tendencies or techniques. I guess since my 206 is a
lot heavier perhaps I have gotten a bit out of practice.

yep.

Was my brake response correct? It was all I could think of. I was a
bit high on final so applied full 40 degrees flaps, perhaps that
additional drag added to the cause?

If there is a xwind, there is a weathervaning force. You can first make
sure the rubber is firmly in contact with the ground, correct with rudder,
add brakes if needed. Power or speed will give you more rudder authority.
Whatever is required.

A heavier a/c hides the effect at lower wind speeds. A nosewheel hides it
too. A tailwheel exposes it all for you to deal with. Get a little light
taildragger taxi time in a 10-15knot wind for a review. 25 knots for an
exam.