Old October 11th 12, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Default Puchacz reviews

as an instructor, I would say that a double seater which tends to flick
=
the other side after spin recovery is a NoGo for basic instruction or
first=
flight.

Agreed. But don't put the Puchacz 1, 2 and 3 on the same pile. The 3 is a
very different airplane than the 1 and 2, with longer rear fuse, larger
tail surfaces, larger tail controls, etc. Behaves quite differently in a
spin compared to the 1 and 2. I speak from experience.

I have never flown the Puchaz, but looking at the statistics for spin
accid=
ent with a FI on board, I tend to see an issue with this glider vs ASK's
an=
d the like.

And an apple tastes wholly different than an orange and the like. My point:
don't compare a glider that will spin with a glider that practically
doesn't when it comes to accidents. ;-)

If you ever get the chance to fly the Puch, grab it. You'll get to enjoy
the positive and experience the negative aspects of it (there other things:
it is relatively slow to pick up speed after a stall due to drag; the
airbrake caps rattle over 180 kmh; when landing with full airbrakes and
misjudging the flare it has a tendency to settle firmly).

Judging by its reputation I understand if people decide against buying (or
even flying) it. I just love flying it and *respect* its flight envelop
limitations. Just like I do in any glider that spins very well.