Old August 4th 05, 03:29 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
.net...
Good stuff, IF you are going to carry the tent.

I have numerous tents from $40 tents from Costco to a single-wall
mountaineering tent that I will be taking to Mt Vinson in Antartica next
January. I believe in cheap tents for events like bike tours (unless you
are carrying the tent) and airplane camping. You can casually abuse a
cheap tent and not worry about it.

snip

Do not underestimate the value of cheap.

Mike
MU-2

I have a fairly nice 2 person backpacking tent that has a low profile and a
full size rain fly. Despite 30+ mph winds and lots of rain at Oshkosh on
Monday night, the wife and I were essentially bone dry. Our poor neighbor
had a cheapo tent and ended up bailing out his tent the next morning and
having to dry ALL of his stuff - clothes, sleeping bag, etc. He had a
miserable night and said he slept in water (not in damp bedding, but IN
water). Monday was one of those days where spending a few more dollars to
get a decent tent really paid off.

For me, the only good place for a cheap tent is for kids who are "camping"
in their backyard. In that situation, if the tent leaks, you bag the
campout and head inside... No harm, no foul. Otherwise, being stuck with an
inadequate tent really, really, sucks. Trying to sleep in a tent turned
swamp isn't my idea of a vacation... ;-)