Old August 18th 05, 04:02 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
.com...
Peter R. wrote:
I would certainly hope that if one desired to *deliberately* run a tank
dry, that pilot would not choose the approach phase to do so.

Well, it runs dry when it's empty. I wouldn't have picked that particular
moment myself. In this case, I believe the pilot was an idiot. He used
to joke about how far he would fly without refueling. I didn't see that
he had a future in aviation. The boss canned him after the Lance went
down.

Actually, the boss should have canned him when he started joking about how
far he could fly without refueling. If I had a pilot working for me doing
this, even joking, I'd have him in my office in five seconds to either
straighten him out or get rid of him. This kind of talk, even around the
flight office, can have a very bad effect on a commercial operation, and no
pilot who ever worked for me would have survived with me long enough to run
dry on the localizer.
Dudley Henriques