Old July 14th 09, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Default Best winch metrics - what is the best winch operationally?

Surfer! wrote:
In message , Bruce
writes
snip
Others have launched Grob 103 and other "heavies".

(All weights AFAIK)

ASH 25 at MTOW? (750kg I think, same as the Nimbus 4D)

K21 is 600kg, Grob 103 is 580kg - 676kg depending on the version, Duo is
700kg.

Snip

Duo XLT is now 750 kg...

And yes - that is why the Drakensberg guys built a new Chevy 454 winch
with much more power. (For some reason this is the "small block" - I
just wonder what it is compared to?)

There were aparently loooong seconds on the uphill launch with the Grob
twin astir that were too uncomfortable at Underberg.

A short uphill runway at 5200MSL on a hot summer day is not a good place
to have the winch ambling up to full speed...

For our use the Ford has about enough for a safe, no wind launch with a
L13 at max weight and density altitude in the 8-9000 feet range.