Old July 25th 19, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 7:22:27 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
This pilot made a DEEP entry into the US w/o, apparently, following the laws of the US:

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....l?dsId=7436890

Here is what you have to do PRIOR to flying into the US, regardless of whether or not you are a US citizen:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...ions/airspace/

Here is just one excerpt:

All civil, private aircraft entering the U.S. must first land at an airport of entry before continuing to their destinations, unless other arrangements are made with U.S. CBP.

The penalties for violating these laws is pretty stiff, including confiscation of the offending aircraft. And, if you are going to break US law anyhow, DON'T post your flight on the Internet!

I'm not a member so I can only see the small map. It appears the Arcus entered US airspace just north of Babb MT, and continued approximately 240 km to near Wolf Creek before very closely retracing its path.

On the following FAA web page ...

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/inte...erflight_fees/

.... I see a charge current Jan 1 2019 for En-route overflight of $61.75 per 100 nautical miles great circle distance from POINT OF ENTRY to POINT OF EXIT from U.S.-controlled airspace.

I estimate the distance from point of entry to point of exit on the 49th parallel to be something on the order of two or three miles. Accordingly the fee that might be due would be in the range of maybe $1.20 to $1.80.

Does the original poster have knowledge or evidence of any communications that might have taken place between the glider and US ATC, or that no such communication took place?