Old July 20th 04, 03:33 AM
Dude

Let me add that the bizjet guys get WHATEVER they want at these FBO's.

I am NOT kidding. If they complain about piston traffic, it will be noted,
and something may change. Some FBO's simply give these guys whatever they
want, Period. I have heard it from the FBO and airport managers that I talk
to.

One comment was that the biz jet crowd did not want any "looky lou's" around
as they came and went. This FBO leased the surrounding land to keep other
business from being too close, as well as started to harrass one of their
tenants, a flight school, about the foot traffic on the ramp. The school
was locked out in an attempt to get them to leave their lease.

Another comment was from a municipal airport who said he never got
complaints about noise from the jets, just the piston planes? They will not
take any more GA tenants, and though they are building new T hangers, the
old ones are being knocked down even though they are still in demand.

"Dude" wrote in message

wrote in message ...

Dude wrote:

Our ability to keep the majors (and the ever increasing threat from

bizjets)
from punting us from the skies and airports) is dependent on our

ability
keep the piston friendly FBO's and flight schools in business.

I don't agree with that at all.

1. The majors, as obnoxious as they are, aren't interested in most

airports that
you would likely want to use.

Not so, my closest airport just announced plans to kick almost half the GA
tenants off the field to make the airlines happy. The cities want the
bizjets and the airlines because they see the revenue. We are just an
irritation. One local municipal has made a commitment to support

"limited"
piston GA activity because someone persuasive pointed out that a lot of

jet
owners and wealthy home owners also had prop planes. Also, the press has
been full of majors, and the politicians they have lobbied, attacking GA.

2. If the runway is 5,000 feet, or longer, the biz jets might want to

share the
airport with you, but they wouldn't push you out and, instead, might get

you an
ILS or some similar goodie that wouldn't have come around with a few

"Cubs"
parked at the airport.

Or, you may no longer have your hangar. Until recently, the closest GA
friendly field was 25 minutes from my home. Now its 45. All of those
fields sell more Jet A than Avgas. The fields that are short and get less
jet traffic are dying at a rate of 1 every two years to developers. Doomed
if you are long, and doomed if you are short.

The vast number of the people who can afford and get convenience from a
small piston plane now have to drive farther than they do to get to the

two
big airports. When the next vote comes up to close a small field, none of
them will care.