Old March 18th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Micki

Default club resources

On Mar 17, 10:14*am, Brad wrote:
When a soaring club provides towplanes to a regional or national
contest, how is a club typically compensated for loaning out their
equipment, or are they?

Is a contest and the use of a club towplane by non-club members seen
as a "commercial" operation? And if so, does the towplane need a 100
hour inspection to be legal?

How are tow fees assesed so that contestants, who are probably not
members of the club providing the towplane, pay a fair amount so that
club members are not subsidizing their tow fee?

Brad

Brad,
each contest manager has their "own" concepts of how the tow plane
thing works...I can only tell you what I do in the west (arizona,
utah, and new mexico). I will also preface this by telling you that I
overly compensate my tow pilots, because without them you can't have a
contest!

new SSA sanctioning rules require a million dollar liability insurance
policy paid for by the plane owner, with the pilot listed.

I pay for one tank of gas fuel (ferry fee)
i pay the pilots a standard fee for every single tow. Every contest
(sanctioned) has to keep a record of every tow plane, every glider,
and every time each was towed.
I also pay for lodging for my tow pilots
I also pay for catered event meals for my pilots
Oh, I also give each of my tow pilots a free contest t-shirt.

Every day after the launch, I go over my tow log with each tow pilot
to make sure we agree. At the end of the contest, I pay them the set
amount per tow and the tank of gas.

The Tow planes do not have to be insured as a "commercial" operation,
as long as they have a liability insurance policy. I calculate the
tow fee amount based on the gas required to launch, drop tow at 2,000
agl, and return.

Some contests charge their contestants per tow, and transfer the money
to the tow pilots, some contests just charge a standard amount to the
contestants, and then work separate deals with their tow pilots. (the
amounts you are allowed to charge for contest registrations and tows
are listed in the rules). If my calculations prove to be more than
the maximum allowed by the rules, then (and only then) I apply for a
contest waiver to charge what is necessary.

Also, I would recommend that you talk to some of the "chief tow
pilots" around the country with lots of experience. One of the ones I
recommend, is Bob Lynn out of Colorado. They can guide you as to the
requirements, and what they recommend. Also, John Seaborn has been
writing a contest manager's organization guide that is absolutely
wonderful, and can help new contest organizers. Also, there is always
the option of getting an experienced contest manager to train you in
your first contest.

I hope this helps
Micki