Old May 4th 15, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default BGA Concession AUW and its sometimes American Contemporary

Back to the original thoughts on AUW. I love the USA because I have a Glasflugel 604 that I can legally (and safely, too) fly at 1800 lbs AUW (about 816 KG) and a Nimbus 3 that I can load up to 1930 lbs AUW (about 875 KG). No matter what the manufacturer might say about such things. :-)

I have only gotten the 604 up to about 1750 (need bigger bags for the outer panels) and only flown the Nimbus as high as about 1850 (outers full, inners were full, but I did about a one minute dump. It has the early, 80 gallon tanks). But, oh, they are nice when heavy!

Mine are both approved to the higher gross weights by the FAA. I know. Anything I do that is not approved by the manufacturer makes me a test pilot. And I am OK with that. In both cases, it was done lots before me on the subject sailplanes.

Steve Leonard