Old August 30th 19, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

At 14:15 30 August 2019, wrote:
On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 2:15:04 AM UTC-4, Paul T wrote:
At 13:30 29 August 2019,
wrote:

=3D20
and Ridge Soaring has been on the 'for sale' market for

how=20
long?=3D20
Seems to me you need to think of a plan to buy some of=20

these=3D20
properties up and establish non profit clubs at them -maybe

a=20
'culture=3D20
change' is required in the US.

Problem is real estate prices. In the old days you could buy a

big=20
enough
=3D
piece of property for a small enough amount of money to run

a=20
soaring
opera=3D
tion as a hobby business. Perhaps SSA should do more

fundraising
specifica=3D
lly for purchasing airports? Or spend the money lobbying

the=20
gov't to
bu=3D
y airports for our use(only half joking.) The Hanggliding/PG

crowd=20
spends
=3D
a bunch of their resources securing real estate. They've also
unfortunatel=3D
y had to go into the insurance business themselves, which is

a=20
terrible
out=3D
come, but I understand they didn't have much choice. =20

=20
Real estate prices are also high in Europe yet clubs still manage

to=20
purchase airfields.......

Don't you guys have zoning laws that say once an airport or

cheese shop or
=
whatever the land use was it has to stay that way forever? Thus

keeping
pr=
ices for old airfields reasonable? Not cheap, reasonable. Some

American
c=
lubs do buy their own airports but there is a difference between a

few
hund=
red thousand for a rural airport and a few million for the examples

we
have=
here.

Don't know where you heard that? In the Uk they are turning most
old airfields and some active ones into housing or industrial estates
-prime prices. One can always find excuses on ways not how to -
maybe some of those mega rich flyboys you have in the USA like
Tito could help out? I think Lasham was £1.5 million some years ago
when it was purchased.?