Old July 1st 04, 07:53 AM
Craig

Richard Lamb wrote in message news:

OUTSIDE air compressor room(!), and air piped around the shop?
Some people use PVC pipe for that, but I'm too chicken.
Mine is iron gas pipe.

I'll second putting the compressor outside the normal work area.

As to using PVC....well use it only if you like playing with bombs
with random length fuses... when it lets go, it becomes a shrapnel
generating machine. Also, let us know your shop location so we can
avoid being close to it.

The PVC and CPVC pressure ratings are for incompessible fluids only.
When you rerate the pipe using the correct formulas and apply the
correction factors for compressible fluid service and for operating
temps, you will find that the stamped 200 psi working pressure is now
about 4 psi.....

Now lots of people will pooh-pooh this and tell you that they have
been using it for years without a problem....just means that they
haven't had a failure yet. Take the time and read the exact working
of the ASTM rating stamped on that piece of PVC or CPVC as well as run
the numbers for yourself. I'll gladly point you to the specs and codes
as well as numerous vendor sites.

If you don't like this answer, then do a Google search on air and PVC
over in rec.crafts.metalworking. Lots of real world experience with
the failure side of PVC used as air lines over there.

Craig C.