Old November 12th 04, 06:26 AM
tony roberts

Hi David

I have an RC Allen which was in the plane when I bought it about 30
months ago. It works fine - that's about as much as I can tell you,

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

In article 1100238342.986909@yasure,
"David Herman" wrote:

My plane's artificial horizon - which was overhauled just a few months ago
at a well-known shop - has headed south again. Since it's got a lot of
hours on it now (and at least one overhaul, maybe more), I suspect it may be
beyond saving and I could be looking at getting a new one. If I do need to
replace it, I'm wondering about brands. It's a Sigmatek unit.

I see RC Allen and Sigmatek units advertised. Looks like the RC Allen
horizons are a little cheaper, but not much. Anyone have any opinions on
the relative merits, reliability, advantages, etc. of either brand? Even
though I want the thing to be reliable, I'm looking at the basic vacuum
models, not the muy-expensive electric ones with extra bells and whistles.

The plane (and I) are VFR only at this point (vacuum, wet pump), but one of
these days I'd like to work on my instrument rating. But I cosnider that
moot - whatever unit I get needs to be reliable - I'm tired of not trusting
this instrument and want one that should be rock-solid.

So - anybody like (or dislike) either brand?

Thanks.

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL