Old November 14th 12, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Tow Pilot Checkouts, Rough-Field Tri-Gears?

On Nov 13, 6:19*pm, T wrote:

Any club trying to maintain more than one tow plane with only 600 tows
per year is going to have financial issues. A Super Cub is a high
capital investment. The concern of grounding for an AD for a single
type (2 Pawnees) is understandable, but the capital investment of the
second tow plane could be higher than the revenue lost while
completing the AD.

Thanks for the info on your simulated tow regimen! Can I ask which
club this is?

Our club consistently does ~1300 tows per year. We never seem to use
our towplanes evenly; often the "nicest" Pawnee gets 700-800 tows per
year while the remaining 550-650 are split between the other two
planes (effectively at a loss). My analysis of our club finances
shows that 1300 tows is sufficient to support 2 towplanes as long as
you use them equally (i.e. about 650 tows per plane); but definitely
not 3 towplanes. Just as you've noted, doing less than about 600 tows
per towplane just doesn't make economic sense (the fixed costs are way
too high on a per-tow basis, you'd end up having to charge something
like $65+ for a 3000' tow just to keep up with yearly costs - and at
that rate you're not saving any money for long-term items like
engines, paint, fabric, etc).

--Noel