Old July 10th 14, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default shipping a glider and trailer by rail from East to west coast

Road trips can be an adventure!

When I bought my first LS-6a in the early 90s, I was fortunate to be
able to make an inspection detour on return from a business trip. My
partner and I called to confirm the sale and left work together on a
Friday afternoon from Denver, arriving in Chicago on Saturday morning.
We did a final inspection, handed over the money, changed the connector
on the trailer, checked the lights and hit the road on Saturday
afternoon, arriving back in Denver on Sunday morning. We alternated
driving and sleeping.

Plan it out - it could be a fun trip!

Dan Marotta

On 7/9/2014 6:51 PM, Karl Striedieck wrote:
On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 11:45:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anybody had any experience with rail shipping a glider in trailer? I'm looking at pre-owned gliders and after flying out to inspect the glider and purchasing, having to fly back to the west coast, load up the pickup and drive to New York sure would take the joy out of a glider purchase. I'm just tossing this out, nothing on the radar yet

Where is "here?"

When I was the Schleicher rep I insisted on only Panama Canal routing for West Coast gliders. The damaged glider referred to earlier resulted when someone at Kuhne & Nagel mistakenly shipped it via train from NY to CA. It was Jim Indrebo's bird.