Old February 7th 04, 09:34 AM
Bruce Greeff

Andreas Maurer wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:57:58 +0100, Stefan
wrote:

I've flown a Janus behind a G3-Mirage. It takes definitely longer to get
off the ground, but once airborne, the climb rate is nearly that of an
"ordinary" plane. The whole tow takes a bit longer, but due to the much
lower cost of the UL, it's still much cheaper.

I'd say it works fine from a paved runway or from a long grass runway.
Not recommended from short runways or with a tailwind, especially if the
rope break options are difficult or if there are obstacles at the end of
the runway.

I heard from a reliable source that aerotow tests with a single-seater
(iirc Ventus) behind an Impule 100 with a 100 hp Rotax 912S showed a
climb rate of more than 1.000 fpm... (!). This might be the first
ultralight that is a full replacement for a Remorqeur, even on
less-than-perfect conditions.

It helps significantly if the tow plane is aerodynamically clean.
The G3 Mirage and Mattin Wezel's Condor are NOT clean.

Bye
Andreas

Where could we get more information on said Impule ultralight?

Bruce