Old January 28th 05, 04:08 AM
BTIZ

I live on the wrong side of town... it is 25 miles across town and then
another 20 miles to the glider club... luckily on most days it is less than
an hour 1 way. The next closest club is on the right side of town... but at
least a 90 minute drive one way.

And that's when I started soaring.

BT

"Peter Gadd" wrote in message
I think part of the reason for the decline in soaring
is the rapid expansion of urban areas, I used to fly
back in teh 70s, and there were 3 gliderports within
an hours drive. They have all closed due to the expansion
of suburbia. The closest field with decent soaring
is now over 2 hours away each way. That takes 4 hours
out of a weekend day just to drive! After a grueling
week at work, spending a half day in a car driving
to & from a gliderport is more than I can take. I
will be retiring soon, and intend to jump back in,
but I'm already spending at least 2 hrs a day commuting,
and I can't stand the thought of doubling that on weekends!