Old January 3rd 04, 06:28 PM
Maule Driver

"EDR" Unless I'm missing someting here, an IFR
approved GPS receiver (GPS only,
not a combination GPS, VOR, LOC unit like some of the newer ones) like

the
KLN 89B will contain GPS approaches in the database. To fly VOR-only or

LOC
or ILS or NDB approaches you need to use the avionics for those

approaches,
not a GPS.

It depends on the box and the installation.
It may only be certified for enroute.
It may be certified for enroute and terminal.
It may be certified for enroute, terminal and approach.

I think it actually depends on whether the box has the non-GPS equipment
integrated into it. I believe that the 89B, like my Garmin 300XL is GPS
only so the DB only contains GPS approaches (including overlays on VOR and
NDB approaches). No Locs, no ILSs, no NDB or VOR only.

It is approach certified but only has the approaches which it can fly.