Old August 27th 05, 11:59 AM
Doug Hoffman

Bob Salvo wrote:
The original post referred to gliders that used flaps and divebrakes
(spoilers), not gliders that use only flaps for landing. Flap only gliders
that use flaps for landing require more accurate speed control during
approach/landings. I once saw an HP-10 (no spoilers) float the entire
length of the runway and end up in the trees at the far end, just because
the very experienced pilot did not pay attention to his approach speed. I
heard about another competent airman who flew a Schweizer 1-35 (again no
spoilers) for the first time and had trouble putting it down, so he removed
the flaps to prevent over running the runway; he landed hard, causing minor
damage to the fuselage. OTOH, on a flapped/spoilered ship, I've seen a very
experienced pilot mistake the flap control for the spoiler control and end
up in a tree just short of the runway.

Udo provides some very valuable advice that newcomers to flaps would be
wise to heed. This includes taking a high tow on your first flight,
practicing with the flaps at altitude, and assuring that the runway is
long. This is what I did on my first flight in a flapped (flaps-only)
ship. I had only about 25 hours flying anything at the time. I agree
with Udo that flaps should not be feared. Of course they must be
respected. But dumb/dangerous maneuvers can be done in any glider with
or without flaps.

Regards,

-Doug