Old March 24th 10, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default TR-21 mounting screws

Hi,

I don't have exactly what you need, but I have recently started stocking up
on a variety of "glider panel screws". I stock them both in black oxided
stainless steel (nearly non-magnetic) and brass with black oxide. The sizes
I stock are listed below. I found it was easy to get black stainless steel
screws at McMaster Carr, but black brass was tough. I had to have the
screws treated locally in a large batch.

The stainless steel screws don't seem to affect compasses - even when a box
of screws is near the compass.

In stock in both brass with black oxide and stainless steel with black oxide
- M3 x 8 mm - pan head
- M4 x 10 mm - pan head
- M4 x 10 mm - pan head
- M4 x 12 mm - pan head

I also stock the following screws for use in a variety of U.S. made small
instruments: 6-32 x 1/2" black stainless steel.

I also stock 8-32 x 1/2" in black brass

I also stock 8-32 x 3/4" and 8-32 x 5/8" in flat head black stainless steel
and 8-32 x 5/8" in pan head black stainless steel.

I think that is most everything. I'll add them all to my web site soon.

Note: Winter used to supply aluminum M4 screw that were black, but they
can't get them anymore. They now supply black treated brass screws. I have
a few of the aluminum ones remaining in stock.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

wrote in message
On Mar 24, 3:35 pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Mar 24, 2:03 pm, wrote:

The TR-21 comes with long (1.25 inch) black flathead screws (4-40).
These screws are the countersink type and do not work well with my
fiberglass instrument panel. They have a small head.

I'm looking for a source for machine screws, 4-40 x 1.25", in a black
non-metallic material. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Raul Boerner

Part 2 of this game is guess what a TR-21 is and guess which country
you are in.

You mean a Trig TT-21 transponder?

In the USA lots of places sell different instrument panel screws.
Often available in brass or aluminum with a black coating. Aircraft
Spruce, I think Cumulus Soaring and I assume many others. You might
have a problem with 4-40 but look at those places.

Darryl

Darryl,

Indeed, my error. I am installing a Trig TT-21. Another error is that
the machine screw is 1.5" long instead of the slightly shorter version
posted. The 4-40 in 1.5 iches, panhead and black, is a problem.

Raul Boerner