Old April 3rd 18, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SLA batteries opinions?

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 10:54:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I just switched to lifepo4, got tired of killing SLA's. 5 to 10 times more expensive? Do you include the predicted lifetimes in that estimate? I paid $65 for my last 14 ah SLA and replaced it with lifepo4 for $130. So next year, or the year after, when I don't have to buy another SLA I'll be even? ...

- I paid under $30 for my 12AH SLA, shipped. And when I bought 3 smaller SLAs (about 4 or 5 AH each) it was about $27 total for the 3, shipped (from apexbattery.com). Money wise I'm way ahead relative to LiFePO4. Would be nice to have the other advantages of LiFePO4 (no damage from deep discharge, better low temperature operation), but the price would have to drop by another factor of 2 to make sense for me.