Old March 1st 05, 05:57 PM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

Have you ever considered home brewing a fire protectin system for your
house? A pipe on the roof with holes drilled in it to keep the shingles
wet. Directional irrigation sprinklers keeping the walls wet.

Real sprinkler heads will do a much better job and are not all that expensive.
For this type of system, you could use open heads. IIRC, each head typically
covers 150'sq.

A high
volume irrigation pump, I'm thinking gas, so power outages will not be a
problem. Pump out of the swimming pool. If you don't have a pool, now you
have an excuse to get one!

Two basic types of pumps are usually used for this sort of thing. A diaphram
pump (such as a "mud puppy") will maintain constant pressure. A piston pump
maintains constant volume. A properly sized piston pump would be best in an open
system.

I no longer remember the flow figures, but a swimming pool wouldn't last long
enough to handle a situation such as the brush fires California suffers.

I spent a year designing systems for Grinnell Fire Protection once.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.