Old September 6th 18, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May

Default Too many accidents

At 14:44 06 September 2018, 2KA wrote:
Actually, it appears to me that it is sort of the other way around. Last
n=
ight I did an informal survey of accident data over the last 5 years, and
i=
t appears to me that inexperienced pilots rarely have fatal accidents. I
c=
ould only find a couple that involved pilots with less than 1000 hours
tota=
l time.

Instead, the themes that seem to jump out a

- Experienced or highly experienced pilots
- Older pilots (most were in their 60s or 70s)
- Perhaps somewhat limited experience in make/model

I think it is possible that overconfidence in the face of declining
physica=
l ability is a big contributor to fatal accidents.

I don't know if this would hold up to rigorous statistical analysis. For
e=
xample, the NTSB reports only total time, not total glider time. Perhaps
i=
t is just a reflection of our pilot demographic. Still, it is food for
tho=
ught, especially when I look in the mirror.

I'm 62 years old with 4000 hours.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Try this link to a very good spin demo