Old September 6th 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Too many accidents

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 7:44:44 AM UTC-7, 2KA wrote:
Actually, it appears to me that it is sort of the other way around. Last night I did an informal survey of accident data over the last 5 years, and it appears to me that inexperienced pilots rarely have fatal accidents. I could only find a couple that involved pilots with less than 1000 hours total time.

Instead, the themes that seem to jump out a

- Experienced or highly experienced pilots
- Older pilots (most were in their 60s or 70s)
- Perhaps somewhat limited experience in make/model

I think it is possible that overconfidence in the face of declining physical ability is a big contributor to fatal accidents.

I don't know if this would hold up to rigorous statistical analysis. For example, the NTSB reports only total time, not total glider time. Perhaps it is just a reflection of our pilot demographic. Still, it is food for thought, especially when I look in the mirror.

I'm 62 years old with 4000 hours.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

My Father used to teach a college course "The Psychology of Aging". Never took it, too bad. I usually shave in the shower so I don't look at that old man I don't recognize in the mirror. I still see myself as a strapping 40 year old. Age might have something to do failure to get out of a doomed aircraft.

While I respect Tom Knauff, his teachings and writings, I know my CFI friend Dave, whom died in a planned spin with another CFI last week, knew what a rudder does, Sergio, Don, all very experienced. These are not the guys whom skills or knowledge are questioned. For that matter how did Peter Maask spin in, he knew what a rudder does, and I had heard that his trace showed safe speeds. I am afraid we will not know what caused these accidents so we can learn how not to experience these accidents. Why did Matt Wright still have max turn puts at 60 degrees bank on that day?