Old September 6th 18, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Too many accidents

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I'm a student up at Williams who has recently started to solo. I have a total of 12 hours in gliders (2hr solo). So, needless to say, I'm rather inexperienced.

I had the privilege of meeting one of the pilots of XC this summer up in Truckee. His passion for soaring and his willingness to answer even my most basic questions was a kind welcome to the community. My sincere condolences to the soaring community, friends, and family.

This is the first time I've personally known a pilot we have tragically lost in a flight-related accident. I once was a serious cyclist, and tragic events have hit close to home, but it doesn't help any.

As a student, I don't know what the learning is here. I may be getting too analytical too soon, but I feel that the best thing we can do to remember lost pilots is to learn from these tragic events as much as possible.

Before I started my training, I read through every NTSB report related to fatal glider accidents from 1996 to 2016. Please take my analysis with a big grain of salt. I'm not an NTSB examiner, an experienced pilot, and categorizing accidents is difficult.

https://addisonhuddy.com/post/flying/handling-risk/

My biggest takeaways are nothing new: have personal limits, don't show off, use checklists, consistent emergency scenario training, know and maintain the glider, no low saves, and always be learning.

The accidents that shake me the most are the ones that we know little about, which is the majority. Take XC, for example, experienced pilots in a modern glider, at 14k waiting to begin a task, and then all of a sudden descend 5000ft and overstress the plane. The NTSB will do the best they can, but as a student who is trying to learn, what am I to take away from this?